Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10th, 2011

I think overall one of the most interesting parts of our class is our Tool Times.  I really enjoy seeing what everyone else finds useful and interesting.  Not only does it give us new tools to use but it allows us to see tools that maybe we have used before in a different manner.  I know that I would really like to use epals if I was going to teach a technology class again.  (I know Michelle, I could have done it this year but it was too hard to manage with 5 of us teaching tech.)  I would really like to promote that within our staff to see if anyone in the language arts departments would like to try that with our block scheduling hanging over our heads for next year.
Secondly the befunky.com is great! I love how many different choices there are for editing and I think that the shapes will be really useful.  This is the picture that I played with a little bit to try some of the effects.  It was Christmas tree shopping with my husband and the baby last December.  The baby was thrilled to go (as shown above.) I think that sometimes I get stuck looking at some of theses tools through my very narrow math teacher vision and miss the fact that some of them are just cool and have social and other implications as well.  Even if I couldn't use this directly in class doesn't mean that I couldn't use it to edit photos that I put on my new Wiki or parent help site.

Lastly Comic Life has a lot of potential as well, I tend to be a fan of toondoo.com just because it is free and I don't have to have my tech guy put it on my machine (I don't like to be tied down to one machine because we don't have laptops and I don't have my own room)  As a math teacher much of what we do is a process I think that having multiple frames as steps would be very effective for visual learners.  For example this would work well for order of operations.   Another example for visual and auditory learners would be the following song.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment