Wednesday, April 20, 2011

April 19th 2011

Just when you think that you are going somewhere you feel like you come to an absolute halt.  Just as I thought that I was getting into the swing of things with this class my personal life goes crazy.  It is as if you balance one thing and everything else just slides right off the scale.  I guess that is just how life works.  I seem to currently be the Jack of all trades but the master of none. 
I guess I am just going to have to try to get a jump on the projects for class and maybe the rest will fall into place.  I think the perfect example of this is that I had to clean my room (dust, put away laundry, wash the floors) just to feel that I had everything around me in control before I could get to work on my school work.  I think that as an educator I am the same way, I like order and control yet teaching middle school those are the two things that are the hardest to obtain.  Sometimes you just have to jump in and hope for the best.  I have been analyzing the best way to use a lot of these tools and trying to think of ways that I can use them when I need to just throw them into my classes and let the students help me to find a place for some of these applications.  I think that they are an important resource that I am not tapping into.  I think that this coming week I am going to try to get more input from the students in my classes to try some of these web 2.0 tools.  I know that from the articles that I have read that it is possible, I just need to find my comfort with them in my classroom.  


By the way I heart Pandora online radio.  It is just the way we Americans like things, if you don't like a song you move on and it is tailored to your taste in music.  I don't think that many people would like my stations but I think that music tells you a lot about a person.  Plus it has helped me to find artists that I would not have listened to otherwise, just like our class :)
 Julia's station

2 comments:

  1. I agree Julia. Sometimes, though, I think, what is this app really doing that i couldn't do without it? The answer that I have found, without fail, is engagement. Students LOVE computers. "Hey class, lets talk about Macbeth!" (blank stares) "Hey class! Lets back channel about Macbeth!" (applause). Seriously. They love it. I never have more class engagement than when I am doing something with the computers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students use itherpad to backchannel and they love it. We started with a very structured LA lesson and now we are able to just throw it in whenever we think we might be better cooperating and needing that chat space as well. We use it in all subject areas, even math. Math tecahers are dying for new tools so please share your experiences with the web 2.0 you use. You will have some time after ASK testing to experiment with the tools and see what will work for next year.

    ReplyDelete